Friday 3 February 2023

Review: Prince of Blue Flowers: Adventures of Takuan from Koto

Prince of Blue Flowers: Adventures of Takuan from Koto Prince of Blue Flowers: Adventures of Takuan from Koto by Ryu Zhong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoy a good Asian fantasy, and a fun trickster tale, and this is both of those things. I initially put this on my "heist" shelf, but it's not really at the planning level of a heist; it's more the trickster character seizing his opportunities to put one over on the greedy people he encounters. The setting is mostly classical Chinese in feel, though most of the names (including the named gods) are Japanese.

I got a bit of a Monkey: The Journey to the West feel from it, not least because the trickster also has ambitions to fight demons as a monk, though he gets expelled from his monastery because of one trick too many.

There's a formula that ends each chapter, as in traditional tales.

Overall, it's a fun ride, and it's good to have a trickster character who isn't just motivated by greed or mischief but is directing his natural exuberance to a noble end.

View all my reviews

No comments: