Monday 13 February 2023

Review: Miss Percy's Pocket Guide to the Care and Feeding of British Dragons

Miss Percy's Pocket Guide to the Care and Feeding of British Dragons Miss Percy's Pocket Guide to the Care and Feeding of British Dragons by Quenby Olson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I saw a review of this somewhere, I can't remember now exactly where, and added it to my wishlist, then picked it up when it was on sale. I'm glad I didn't pay full price, because I gave up on it about halfway through.

I'd got not quite halfway and it was feeling a bit tedious, with a very socially constrained protagonist who was often passive, a large number of basic editing errors (including it's/its), and very little plot per thousand words. I can forgive a slow-moving plot if everything else is excellent, but this wasn't. So I set it aside, and went off and read four other complete books before grudgingly picking it up again.

And there was more wordiness (with a lot of parentheticals, in the voice of the author, not the character, which had worn thin quite early on), and another scene in which there was finally a bit of action but the main character didn't actually do anything, and a second it's/its error, and I decided to ditch it.

I liked the premise of a cosy fantasy about a middle-aged woman who deals with an unexpected dragon, but the execution just didn't work for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: