Wednesday 3 April 2024

Review: Eluthienn: A Tale Of The Fromryr

Eluthienn: A Tale Of The Fromryr Eluthienn: A Tale Of The Fromryr by Sam Middleton
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Sadly, it appears to be an unwritten law that you can have airships in your book, or you can use vocabulary correctly, but it's either one or the other. This book conforms to that law, and is also frequently missing the past perfect tense; in fact, it has a fairly complete collection of common issues, including dangling modifiers, sentences that change grammatical direction partway through, and commas before the main verb. I'll note, as always, that I read a pre-release version via Netgalley and the published version may have fixed some of the issues, though there are enough of them that I'm confident a lot will remain. Some of the vocabulary errors were very basic, too, like taught/taut or even it's/its; another demonstration that having an English degree does not mean you've learned good mechanics.

The story was better than the execution, but more tragic and serious than I personally prefer; there's an occasional bit of humour, but it's usually coarse jokes by secondary characters. It wasn't so good that I was willing to keep slogging through the ropy mechanics to see how it ended, though. I did my usual test, when I'm finding a book heavy going, of going off and reading something else to see if I cared enough about the characters to come back to it, and discovered I didn't.

At the point I gave up on it, about halfway through, the two storylines and their two protagonists had not yet intersected. Other reviews indicate that once they do, things get more exciting, though the action scenes weren't really what I had a problem with. There was the occasional scene where the description of every step the character took through the (admittedly somewhat interesting) setting became a bit much, and I wanted more summary of things that didn't matter so we could get to the things that did; the author, I think, is proud of the setting, having done a lot of work on it, and wants to show it off, but overdoes it now and again.

I had some trouble believing in the idea of a vast underground realm where flying ships nearly 1km long and 400m wide (assuming a "league" has its usual meaning of three miles) have plenty of room to maneuver, and things being hexagonal or octagonal apparently because it was cool rather than for any practical reason didn't help, but at least it was fresh and original.

I'm following my usual practice of not giving a star rating on Goodreads to a book I haven't finished, but Netgalley will make me give a rating; it will be three stars, because honestly most authors have bad mechanics these days (though these are worse than average), and the story wasn't awful, just not much to my taste. Lots of people will enjoy this more than me.

View all my reviews

No comments: