Monday 4 December 2023

Review: Waterspell: The Complete Series

Waterspell: The Complete Series Waterspell: The Complete Series by Deborah J. Lightfoot
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Even though this is much better executed than most books I've read lately, I ended up giving up partway through the second book. The male MC bounces back and forth between generous lord and scary angry damaged dangerous person, and the female MC/viewpoint character is understandably scared of him and unable to see his positive side, but also keeps making bad, headstrong decisions. They're believable as a teenager's decisions, but still often facepalm-worthy. The whole thing feels very serious and fraught in that YA manner that I don't love.

I didn't ship them as a couple, but apparently they become one later, which is what I thought would happen. For me, a romance doesn't work if it's between people who I think are toxic or foolish, and he's toxic and she's foolish.

Not for me, but it will have its audience. Kudos on the good editing.

View all my reviews

No comments: