Monday 22 March 2021

Review: Tools Of A Thief

Tools Of A Thief Tools Of A Thief by D. Hale Rambo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While its debt to D&D (and similar games) is particularly obvious, this doesn't read like a transcript of a game, and it's definitely not "game-lit".

It involves a gnomish rogue and a couple of people of a race that is, as far as I know, original having a low-level adventure. There's some dungeon delving and a couple of cities, and three main characters with different motivations for traveling.

It's enjoyable enough, but I felt a bit let down by the ending, since the protagonist didn't really resolve her own issue. She failed at most of what she attempted throughout the book, in fact, partly because of her own flaws and partly because the challenges were not that well suited to her skills or skill level. I've read a lot worse, but it didn't quite gel for me.

I received a copy via Netgalley for review.

View all my reviews

No comments: