Wednesday 17 February 2021

Review: Mercurial

Mercurial Mercurial by Naomi Hughes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

On the face of it, this is not a book I should enjoy.

The setting is dystopian, and usually I avoid that genre diligently. It contains torture and cruelty. But the blurb, and the opening, made a pretty strong promise that this would give me a redemptive arc rather than a pointless grimdark tragedy, so I pushed on through the two or three initial chapters of horror until it started getting hopeful.

Not that things then became easy - not at all. The author has done a masterful job of keeping tension, setting up seemingly insoluble dilemmas, and then resolving them in a way that's both surprising and inevitable. It's a book of driven, damaged people struggling in a cruel world, and yet somehow finding their way to a better one through love, devotion, self-sacrifice and faith.

Initially, the metal-based magic reminded me of Sanderson's Mistborn books, but it's quite a different approach. The worldbuilding was not the strongest aspect; the way the magical people worked (and a few incidental moments, like the bone viper, which functioned a lot better as a metaphor than it did as a real animal) stretched my suspension of disbelief, sometimes to breaking. But the strong characters and plot made up for it for me.

I received a pre-publication copy via Netgalley for review. Apart from consistently getting "lay" and "lie" the wrong way round, and a few other verb glitches, which I hope will be fixed by publication, it was well edited, considerably above the usual standard.

Recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments: