Monday 10 January 2022

Review: Spark the Fire

Spark the Fire Spark the Fire by Melissa McShane
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fresh take on a dragon story, with the dragon (a young adult, only 60 years old) as the viewpoint character. She connects with a human prince, and together they fight crime - or rather, they fight a plot to bring about a war between their two peoples. There are multiple different challenges to overcome in multiple different ways; secondary characters who are not just one-note; and main characters who are admirable and competent, but also out of their depth much of the time.

In other words, it's what I would expect from Melissa McShane: entertaining, fun, suspenseful, sometimes amusing, heroic, capably plotted, well-edited apart from a couple of minor slips, and all in all thoroughly enjoyable. I'll definitely be following this series.

It doesn't have quite that extra level of depth and high polish that is my threshold for five stars, but it makes it to my gold tier at the top of the four-star range.

View all my reviews

No comments: