Thursday 8 February 2024

Review: The Journeyer and the Pilgrimage for the Origin of Magic

The Journeyer and the Pilgrimage for the Origin of Magic The Journeyer and the Pilgrimage for the Origin of Magic by Benjamin T. Dudley
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Didn't get far in this before the language defeated me. It's one of those where the author is going for high-flown but doesn't have the chops for it, and occasionally drops a clanging colloquialism like "ass" in the middle of the attempted eloquence.

My spidey-sense always goes off these days when I read that an author has a degree in creative writing; whatever they teach in creative writing class, it's not basic mechanics like punctuating dialog or avoiding comma splices, clearly; based on the examples I've seen, maybe it's to attempt to write books that you don't yet have the experience to pull off.

Plus, there's a prophecy (a negative for me) from a character who is on drugs (big negative) who is apparently 10 years old (huge negative, when paired with the drug use), and it's post-apocalyptic (that's another negative).

Other people liked it; you may too. I did not.

View all my reviews

No comments: