Wednesday 29 November 2023

Review: The Meister of Decimen City

The Meister of Decimen City The Meister of Decimen City by Brenna Raney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I made it about halfway through this one, but I wasn't loving it and switched to reading other things, then never felt like going back. The problem for me was that Rex is just bad at everything that isn't mad science, to a horrible degree, and the angst and ineptitude were eventually too much. If there had been a strong plot to pull me past all that I might have stuck with it, but there wasn't; it was more slice-of-life, which can be fine if I like the characters.

Has the very common issue that the author doesn't know when not to use a comma between two adjectives. She also overcorrects "laid" to "lain" when referring to eggs, writes "aids" when she means "aides" (repeatedly), and makes a few other minor errors. See my notes. For a supers novel, this isn't actually terrible, because they tend to be awful, but it needs more work.

View all my reviews

No comments: