Wednesday 15 March 2023

Books Not Taken: The Wolf Song

Another in my occasional series on books that, based on the blurb on Netgalley, I chose not to pick up. There are plenty of these, of course, but usually I make my decision based on personal taste. The books I highlight in this series have significant problems in their blurbs, and I write these posts in the hope that they'll help authors who want to avoid driving people away with avoidable errors. Here's the blurb on Netgalley for The Wolf Song by "Caleb the Writer" (itself not a byline that inspires confidence, and nor does the amateurish cover or the fact that there's no blurb at all on Goodreads at time of writing):
A grand fantasy tale unlike any other. In a world that mirrors our own, violence and death are a way of life. Petty Lords fight for insignificant tracks of land, while pirates rule the waves and brigands stalk the night. Meanwhile, The Holy Aeternian Empire (or HAE), which reigns over the Kontinent of Gotheca (Götheßa), does nothing to protect its subjects as they fall into chaos and ruin. In the midst of all of this, a young boy would be born with red eyes. Unknown to him, he would soon bring the world to its knees. This is the legend of Wolfgang von Coburg- The Crimson Wolf. The Wolf Song is the first novel in the Blood of The Wolf King series. BOTW focused on realistic military engagements and historically accurate medieval martial arts, weapons, armor, and politics. Set in a fictional world that mirrors ours, follow our protagonists as they navigate the complex world of medieval war and politics. This is the beginning of a great and epic journey that will see the rise of great men at great costs.
Let's break down the problems here. 1. Almost without exception, anything that claims to be "unlike any other" isn't. If it truly is, you won't need to make the claim. Also, a violent setting with an empire that doesn't protect its subjects against chaos? A fated strongman? I'm not seeing anything fresh here. 2. "Tracks of land" should be "tracts of land". 3. Why "The Holy" rather than "the Holy"? And why give us the abbreviation in the blurb when it's not used again? Leave it for the book. 4. "Kontinent"? 5. Why would "Götheßa," with the German double S, be transliterated with a C? 6. Why the switch from present tense to "would be"? 7. Why would you abbreviate "Blood of the Wolf King" as "BOTW" rather than "BOTWK"? 8. Why "focused" rather than "focuses"? Everything else is present tense (apart from the "woulds"). 9. A blurb that mentions "realistic military engagements and historically accurate medieval martial arts, weapons, armor, and politics" suggests to me that I will be extensively hit with the research bat at the expense of plot and character development. 10. The repetition of the fact that the world mirrors ours (in which case, why not write a historical novel or historical fantasy?) becomes a dangling modifier. "Set in..." refers to the book, but "follow" is addressed to the reader. Also, the entire sentence is redundant, merely repeating points already made. 11. Self-praising blurbs ("grand," "great") always raise red flags for me. Let me decide on my own adjectives. 12. "Great men" suggests to me that there aren't any great women in this book. I find women, on the whole, more interesting to read about than men; at minimum, I like to see some fully developed female characters. I also would rather read about ordinary people than Special Hinges of History. That's back to my taste, though. An author acquaintance of mine once compared a blurb to a job interview, and added, "Dress nicely." This blurb has mustard stains on its T-shirt, and suggests that the book itself will have significant issues. Even if I liked books full of violence (I don't), I wouldn't be picking this one up.

No comments: