Monday 18 July 2022

Review: What Song the Sirens Sang

What Song the Sirens Sang What Song the Sirens Sang by Simon R. Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This series, now that I've read three of them, reveals that each book is written to the same formula.

There's a heist, which is fine; that's what I came for. But it's a bit linear.

The thief who has stolen the identity of master thief Gideon Sable is less clever and certainly less charming than he thinks he is.

(view spoiler)

People who seem like they're antagonists turn out not to be, and this is a bit of a let-down.

Rich, fashionable people are just the absolute worst and deserve a horrible death.

A number of people (who deserve it) receive a horrible, gory death that's thoroughly described, which is a trademark of the author's books in general.

Overall, it's not a formula that I love tremendously, and although it's well executed, it didn't appeal to me enough to get onto my Best of the Year (as the first book did) or even to get four stars without a Best of the Year spot (as the second book did). Nor will I be following the series any further. I was looking for more than it delivered.

View all my reviews

No comments: