Monday 22 November 2021

Review: The Prince of Secrets

The Prince of Secrets The Prince of Secrets by A.J. Lancaster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed the first in this series, though I found the plot sometimes predictable. This second book is better, both in general and in the sense that I spent almost the entire book wondering how the various plot issues were going to be resolved, and got that satisfying surprising-but-inevitable feeling when they were.

The romantic couple (a pragmatic, competent woman and a caring, sensitive man) were pretty much my ideal romantic couple, the adventure aspect of the plot was well-paced and suspenseful, the eccentric family was hilarious at times, there were multiple levels of challenge to face (from the minutiae of running an understaffed, underfunded ancient manor house up to deadly fae court politics), and all the parts of the plot fitted together well.

I normally avoid princes, princesses, lords and ladies in my fiction these days, but because they were so down-to-earth and facing everyday challenges as well, I don't mind these ones.

In general, a good time, and I look forward to reading the sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments: