Monday 11 January 2021

Review: Spell of Intrigue

Spell of Intrigue Spell of Intrigue by Mayer Alan Brenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The unfortunate thing about books from pre-ebook times being made available as ebooks is that it's astonishingly rare for the publisher to proofread them properly to sort out all the errors made in scanning - even though, often, spell check would catch a good number of them. This one is an example of the problem, with lots of commas misread as periods, some odd spacing that often turns the quotation marks in the wrong direction, and several outright misreadings of individual words. See my notes and highlights.

It's a little too slow-paced at times, and the plot is convoluted (as the title suggests), which, along with the need for proofreading, kept it off my Best of the Year list. I did enjoy it, though, and I plan to read the sequel - which, like this, I bought on sale, as $7.99 is too much to pay for an old, not outstanding book that has been poorly proofed.

Repeats the error from the first book of using the word "omnipotence" where it means "omniscience".

View all my reviews

No comments: