Tuesday 28 April 2020

Review: Shorefall

Shorefall Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, that was scrumming spectacular.

I very much enjoyed the first in this series, even though the setting is more dystopian, and the body count higher, than I generally prefer. This second book is even better. You will definitely want to start with the first one, since it's essential backstory; in fact, I could have done with a few more reminders, since it's a little while since I read the first book and I'd forgotten a lot of the plot.

The magic system, in which "scrived" objects are convinced that the laws of physics are other than they are through what amounts to hacking the universe, is terrific, and reminds me of the best parts of the Eli Monpress series. Also like Monpress, it features an incredibly powerful and completely psychotic antagonist who must somehow be defeated by people who, on the face of it, are not equipped to do so, by means including clever heists, desperate fights, and committed teamwork by a collection of damaged and hurting characters whose hearts are nevertheless in the right place.

The over-the-top nature of the magic (and the corrupt merchant houses that largely control it) also reminds me of the best parts of Max Gladstone's books. And the spectacular set-pieces and the logical unfolding of the worldbuilding into plot and even character calls to mind the best of Brandon Sanderson.

At the heart of the book is some timely reflection (though when would it not be timely?) on using technology for connection with others rather than to gain power over them. It's not a new thought in SFF - there's something very similar in Sherri S. Tepper's Raising the Stones, for example - but it's one that bears repeating, and here it's well handled and important to the plot as well as the theme.

I have to say, I was hoping for a more upbeat ending. But this is clearly far from the end of the series, and I have to regard that as a good thing, even if it leaves our heroes in dire straits for now. Each of them has a chance to shine during the book, and an opportunity for self-sacrifice and personal growth, and they seize them with both hands. The good/evil divide is exactly where I think it should be: between the people who will sacrifice others to their vision of how the world should be (and coincidentally will end up on top if that vision is executed), and those who will sacrifice themselves for the common good and to do the right thing. And all of this is presented in capable prose with a minimum of stumbles.

Definitely one of the best books of 2020 for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: