Friday 28 December 2018

Review: Fog Season: A Tale of Port Saint Frey

Fog Season: A Tale of Port Saint Frey Fog Season: A Tale of Port Saint Frey by Patrice Sarath
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I surprised myself slightly by enjoying the first of these (as I noted in my review, "wealthy merchant house has a great fall, daughters seek revenge" isn't, to me, the most instantly promising premise). I was happy to seek out the sequel, though, and wasn't disappointed in the least.

The characters have a bit of depth and heft; they're not just cardboard cutouts. The various intrigues and struggles at several different social levels and on several different playing fields are well handled. There's plenty of tension, conflict, alliance, dramatic irony, and action. The protagonists often have to rely on the unreliable while attempting to achieve the unachievable.

The sisters' parents are moved offstage, which was a good move in that we were able to see the elder sister running the household with only her uncle (ineffectually) opposing her, and this gave a much clearer indication of her potential than if she'd had to continually contend with the parents.

Overall, at a good level of complexity, and enjoyable. I will watch for the next in the series.

I received a copy via Netgalley for review.

View all my reviews

No comments: