Tuesday 28 July 2015

Review: Falcon

Falcon Falcon by Emma Bull
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

On the upside, Emma Bull writes beautifully and competently. On the downside, she has a tendency to be on the downside--to write beautifully about tragedy and despair and things going terribly, horribly wrong.

Which is why, when I was a bit down emotionally because of some pain issues, I stopped reading this at about 92%, since the last thing I need in that mood is tragedy. It turns out that I stopped just before the most tragic part--but it also turned out that, immediately after that tragic part, the story takes a previously unsignalled turn for the positive, via what amounts to a deus ex machina (because it, too, struck me as completely unsignalled, and also unlikely).

Apart from that, it's wonderfully done, though it's not my favourite kind of thing.

View all my reviews

No comments: