Wednesday 11 February 2015

Review: John Golden: Freelance Debugger


John Golden: Freelance Debugger
John Golden: Freelance Debugger by Django Wexler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I got this book as a kind of palate-cleanser, a bit of light entertainment between heavier books.

That's exactly what it was. Light, somewhat amusing, entertaining, clever, well-edited. A mashup of cyberpunk and urban fantasy that works in its own terms.

No real depth to it, but since that's what I was looking for I can hardly ding it for that. I did find the use of footnotes for the narrator's cybernetic sister's alternative views on the events didn't work all that well in the ebook format. It was a good idea, but I thought executing it in a different way would have worked better.

I won't necessarily be rushing out to get the next one. I read part of the sample before I realised it wasn't the first and switched to this book instead, and the impression I have is that it's more of the same. When I'm in the mood for something light and easy, though, this series provides a good option.



View all my reviews

No comments: