Thursday 28 August 2014

Review: Dragonhunters


Dragonhunters
Dragonhunters by Sabrina Chase

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



It's a year and a half since I read the first in the series (The Last Mage Guardian), and since then I've read at least 150 other books, so I would have appreciated a few more brief reminders of who all the characters were and what happened in the first book. Apart from that, this was a well-written and enjoyable story, and excellently edited.

Sabrina Chase's steampunk-adjacent alternate world has different names for familiar countries (close enough that you can tell which real-world countries they're meant to be, but different enough that you're reminded that it's not our world), an appealing cast of brave characters, and a well-choreographed climactic fight. I wish more steampunk was like this; it's well-executed and lives up to the promise of its premise, something I rarely say about other books in the genre. I could stand for it to be a little more over-the-top, even, with more play made of the magical devices.

Definitely an author I'm keeping on my watch list.



View all my reviews

No comments: